Matala Theme Modifications
1. You can download the exact image I used here:
Just right click and choose save as from the menu options and the image will download to your computer.
2. To customize and edit images yourself and perhaps better than my rather mutilated version 😉 , you can download the files directly from wordpress.org repository here:
or visit the Matala theme page for more info at:
The header and background appearance options don’t exactly work like you might think. The dividing line is not at the zig zag border but actually a strip at above the horizontal navigation menu. Because the image must take up the entire screen, I used 1599 x 897px for the image size. You will have to upload my image or your own under Appearance >> Background.
Custom Background Option
Using my background image or your own, you will need to upload it through the Appearance >> Background tab. Using this particular background, you will not tile it of course, and you will want it centered on the page. Following the options below is best. Because the image is 1599x897px, it will only cover 897px in height so you will need to match the color of sand as best you can to make it look as if it’s part of the original image. (hey, never said this was a perfect solution but it’s what you gotta do sometimes when working with a less flexible system!) This is a trade-off for getting rid of the colorful graphics. I chose #dbc794.
Changing the Header Text / Link Color
This is the easy part. All you need to do is go to the Appearance >> Header Tab and enter your text color. Make sure and click Save. I didn’t use a header so not sure exactly how that would work/look.
There are a couple of things to be aware:
1. File size- I had a couple of versions of the background that blended much better than the one I ended up using. The file size was just too big and even with the power of the fast WordPress servers, my site took a terribly long time to load using my lackluster mobile broadband service. Many “experts” suggest no larger than 100-150kb to optimize for slower connections. The one I used is 147kb. I also have a 97 kb jpg, but didn’t like it as much.
2. You will lose the hand drawn circles around the Top Nav. Menu. Not necessarily a bad thing if you have long menu titles.
3. Full-width Attachment pages (think photos), shows the overflow of the right column. You can see an example here:
I hope this helps. I get a lot of questions about how to do this and thought it easiest to just make a mini tutorial. If you have any questions, just leave a comment or send me a message via the contact page. You can also find me writing tutorials about Squarespace templates as well, at http://www.squarespaceplugins.com
- New Theme: Matala – WordPress.com (en.blog.wordpress.com)